Mutual Exchange

If you want to move to a different home, a Mutual Exchange is probably the quickest way.  A Mutual Exchange is where you swap your tenancy with another social housing tenant.  You take on responsibility for their property and tenancy, and they take on yours.

You can apply to swap with any tenant of a social landlord, anywhere in the UK.

Tenants with an Assured, Secure or a Fixed-Term Tenancy can swap their home, but you will need permission from Willow Tree Housing Partnership Limited before you go ahead. Rentplus tenants are not permitted to exchange. New tenants who have a Starter Tenancy have to wait until the Starter Tenancy is converted into an Assured Tenancy before they can exchange.

We will only accept a mutual exchange where the size of property is suitable for the incoming family. Spare bedrooms are not usually permitted, other than for medical reasons; evidence will need to be provided.

Please refer to the Mutual Exchanges Handbook Leaflet for more details on size criteria and reasons that a mutual exchange may be refused.

To find someone to swap with register with HomeSwapper, or speak to your Local Authority to see if they keep a list of tenants who want to exchange. You may decide to place an advert on social media yourself. Please see the 'More Help and Advice' section below.

If you have any questions then please 'Contact Us'.